FAQs for Travelers & Partners (Tour Guides)
We provide professional, licensed, and passionate tour guides. Various tours that can cater to your interests are also available on the website. Or you can even customize your own itinerary and have the tour of your dream.
You've come to the right place!
Most of the tours that are published on our website are private tours.
It is to easy!
1. Write the destination that you would like to visit under "Where are you going"
2. You will see many tour options
3. Compare, refine and choose the one that you would like to book
4. Click on "Book Now" and provide with your information details
4. After you make the payment, you will get a confirmation email
You will receive e-mail when status is updated.
Please see the cancellation/refunds policy on our website on "Terms & Conditions" page.
Since all travel involves an element of risk, MyPrivateTourGuide.com highly recommend its travelers to have travel insurance in advance.
Yes, we are cooperating with PayPal or EC Pay, so your money will be safe with our payment system.
After you paid, you will receive an confirmation e-mail.
Yes of course you can, but please confirm with your tour guide first before you change it.
Please contact MyPrivateTourGuide team and we will send you another tour guide or refund of your pay.
For Hosts (Tour Guides)
Please click “Become a Partner” button and follow the process to complete apply as a guide, we will processed your account if you are qualify.
Basic information is for Travel Insurance and uploading qualification is to ensure the professionalism of the tour guides.
Yes, it is recommended to use your real information (as your name and your phone number so we can contact you if needed). Please note that you don't need to upload your Passport/ID or any other document to your profile, not even your bank account details/PayPal . We will only ask you for these details after you get a confirmed tour.
Posting a tour on MyPrivateTourGuide is free of charge, you will be charged 10% of the tour price of the confirmed tours.
You are not able to contact to tourist before they book, but you can communicate via our chat function.
We highly suggest that you better reply any message if you can.
Yes, you can edit whenever you want, but please make sure that all adjust are similar as first vision.
Please contact to our support team, we will help you out.
You will get an email to know latest status.
You will get your payment through third party, PayPal or bank transfer, after the tour is confirmed. If the payout is via bank transfer then it will take 3-5 working days to show on your bank account.
MyPrivateTourGuide.com allows the tour guides to get paid when the tour is confirmed. We Charge only 10% of the total price of the confirmed tour, and the rest 90% will be sent to you excluding the transfers fees if any. So in this case the tour guides will be protected from any last minute cancellation.
When you list any of your tours, please be sure to add FAQs and mention about your cancellation fees and policy. For example, you can add:
Question: What is my cancellation policy?
Answer: You can cancel the tour without any cancellation fees 20 days before the departure, otherwise my cancellation fees is the following ......etc
Also, please read "How To List A Tour" where you will find the description about the cancelation and refunds.
Tour guides are not able to cancel the tour if tourist booked, but if very urgent, please contact our support team to cancel or pass the tour to other tour guide.
You will get negative comments; also not allow using platform for 6 months, and you will not get the payment from the tour you missed.
We will inform you once we get cancel inform, and you will get limited percentage as compensation according to the cancellation policy.